Dell laptops are a great option for those that need a reliable machine. However, sometimes they can get bogged down or even freeze up. Here are 7 ways you can restart your Dell laptop and have it running smoothly again in no time.
Method 1: Use the Windows Method
Method 2: Use the Reset Button
A Dell laptop’s reset button is different for every operating system:
- For Windows XP, press Ctrl+F11 to get back onto your computer in case of emergency or if the screen goes dark on you while you’re using it
- For Windows Vista and Windows 7, use F8 as their reset option with secondary options like Boot Manager Repair (Windows Vista), System Restore (Windows 7).
Method 3: Force Restart
To start, unplug all cables from the Dell laptop. This includes anything that is plugged into its USB ports or power adapters for charging including cell phones—you definitely don’t want them draining any extra juice out there as well.
Next, remove any external drives so they won’t be drawing off your laptop battery when it has not been used recently. Lastly, press down on the power button for 15 seconds which should discharge the remaining power.
Method 4: Use the Power Button
You can restart your computer by pressing and holding the power button until it turns off. Just wait a few seconds before turning it on again. This should resolve most issues with crashing computers inoperable at startup (i.e., if they won’t boot).
How to Factory Reset a Dell Laptop
If you’re seeing errors or problems on your Dell laptop, it may be time for a reset. Resetting the computer can help with some common issues that arise from aging hardware and software.
However, there are risks associated with this process because all data will be lost if done incorrectly—so make sure to back up any important files beforehand.
- How To Make a Private Story in the Snapchat App
- How to Share a Wishlist from the Wish App
- How to Deregister Kindle Device? [Step-by-Step Guide!]
- How To Remove Ruler, Guide, And Grid Lines In Photoshop
- How to Remove Header in Google Docs
Step 1: Backing Up Your Data
It’s always a good idea to have an emergency plan for your files in case anything were to happen. Before you begin the process of doing a factory reset on your Dell laptop, make sure to back up all essential files and data on an external hard drive.
Step 2: Disconnect All the External Devices
You need to turn your computer off. You must disconnect all the things you don’t need to turn on the computer, like the scanner, printer, modem, external speakers, or network cables. You also want to disconnect any smartphone, tablet, or USB flash drive that you might have plugged into your computer.
Step 3: Access the Advanced Boot Options Menu
Turn on your Dell laptop. When the computer boots up, press F8 to enter Advanced Boot Options. Make sure you do this as soon as possible after seeing that the blue Windows logo appears on the screen or else it won’t work.
If for some reason your attempt at entering into options didn’t go according to plan, then restart and try again.
Step 4: Choose to do the Image Restore
In the Advanced Boot Options menu, use your computer’s arrow keys and select Repair Your Computer. Press Enter to continue.
The next screen will ask you which language you want. Choose your preferred language and then click Next. You’ll need your administrative account on this machine in order to proceed.
- How to share a private YouTube video with anyone by giving permission to their email address
- How to Delete Miscellaneous Files on Android? Miscellaneous Files Cleaner
- Google+ Guide: How to Tag and Share Photos on Google+
- How to Get Internet on the Tablet Without Wifi
- 5 ways to expand your iPhone’s storage beyond 16 GB
Finally, select Dell Factory Image Restore and click Next. Select Yes, reformat the hard drive and restore system software to factory condition to start the restore process.
Once the restore is complete, click Finish and restart your computer.
If you find yourself in a situation where your Dell laptop is freezing or not functioning well, don’t worry. You can restart the machine and get it running smoothly again in no time with these tips.
Which method did you try? Let us know what worked best for you by commenting below.