Wondering how to play 8 ball pool on iMessage? First, install the GamePigeon app. 8 Ball Pool is one of the 14 different games that come with it. For a pool lover like myself, the game hits the spot as it requires a lot of strategy like real pool.
During the start of the pandemic, I spent more time than I’d like to admit playing 8 Ball Pool with my friends. I’ve not only discussed how you can download and play the game, but some tips and tricks to make you a better player too.
How to Install 8 Ball Pool on iMessage?
You’ll first have to install GamePigeon. It’s an iMessage app that consists of a number of different games. One of the 14 different games that it comes with is 8 Ball Pool.
Here’s how to download GamePigeon:
- Open an active thread on iMessage
- Click on the ‘>’ icon by your keyboard
- You’ll see an icon that looks like the Apple App Store icon right where you would type a message
- Click on the icon
- Open the menu with the four dots (the App Drawer)
- You will now see all the iMessage apps you have downloaded
- Hit the + sign labelled ‘Store’
- Click on the magnifying glass search icon to open your search bar
- Type in GamePigeon
- Click Get (it’s free to download)
On iOS 15 do the following:
- Open an active thread on iMessage
- Tap on the empty space where you would normally type a message.
- You’ll see an icon that looks like the Apple App Store icon
- Tap on this icon
- In the App Store, search for GamePigeon
- Then tap on “Get” to install it.
How Do You Access 8 Ball Pool?
Before I get on to how you play 8 Ball Pool, let’s talk about how you can find it once GamePigeon has been installed.
- How To Change Emoji Color On Android? [Ultimate Guide]
- Snapchat: How To Edit Photos & Videos from Your Camera Roll
- How To Change Your Name On Google Meet And Here's The Step By Step Guide
- How to Transfer Songs from iPhone to iPhone Using AirDrop
- How to Charge GoPro Battery & Camera: 4 Ways (All Models) 7 Charging Tips
- Open the iMessage app
- Select the New Message icon on the top right hand corner of the screen
- Find the contact you want to play with (since you’re going to play an iMessage game, know that you can only play with other iOS users. Make sure that you and the other player have iOS 10 or a later version)
- Swipe left on the icons on the bottom
- Choose the GamePigeon icon
- Select 8 Ball (or any of the 13 other iMessage games that you want)
- Tap on the Send icon to send the other player a game request
How Do You Play 8 Ball Pool?
Let’s get on to the good stuff.
Here’s how you play 8 Ball Pool:
- Tap the triangular play icon on the game to begin
- Your friend will get the first move if you sent them the game request. Just like with regular pool, your turn will be after theirs. This will keep going until someone wins
- Move the cue stick by hovering your finger over it
- Pull the stick back to shoot one of the 8 balls (when you pull back, the power meter on top will tell you much force you’re exerting)
- Remember to not hit the white ball in the pocket, as you will be penalized
What Are Some 8 Ball Pool Tips?
Everyone has to start somewhere. I’ve run through some tips that any newbie will appreciate.
- You will see an indicator on the screen telling you whether you are stripes or solids. But if the game has been going on for a while, you might forget which one you are and take out one of your own eight balls. A pro tip would be to make a mental or physical note of it
- Although you might not think it, choosing between stripes and solids determines your chances of winning. Before choosing, ask yourself which side has the most pottable 8 balls, and which side gives you the best chance of clearing.
- Choose your game mode carefully. Each pool table comes with different game rules. The game starts with the London Table, by default. Some may be better for pros.
- You might think it’s the power in your shots that matter. However, this is not the case. The key to winning is not power, but finesse. Sometimes, you have to make a very gentle move to pot a ball
- As mentioned earlier, you shouldn’t hit the white ball in the pocket. You will be penalised
- Just like with real pool, the iMessage iOS game requires a lot of practice to master
- How to Change the Background on iMessage? 2 Easy Methods
- How to Play Mancala on iMessage: Everything You Need to Know
- How to Mention Someone in iMessage (A Simple Guide)
- 12 Most Addictive iPhone Games You Can Try
I’ve answered some popular questions below.
Can I Chat on 8 Ball Pool?
Yes and no. You can click on the speech bubble above the other user’s name to speak to them. However, you will only be able to send predetermined texts.
- My TV doesn’t output sound through the DIGITAL AUDIO OUT (OPTICAL) port
- Prime Video Not Working on Roku: How to Fix in Seconds
- How to Trim a Video on Snapchat? [The Ultimate Guide]
- How to Block Ads on Words With Friends [2022 Update]
- How to Tell If a Security Camera Is On: Top 6 Ways
Check out more smartphones
You can download GamePigeon to play pool. It’s easy to download it from the iMessage app store, and it won’t cost anything.
Just know that you will only be able to play 8 Ball Pool with other iOS users. Also, you and the other player need to run iOS 10 or a later version on your iPhone.