Sticks are made of wood in Minecraft, and they’re essential building materials you’ll find in the game. You’ll need a good stockpile of sticks at any given time, especially if you want to go spelunking or mining, as sticks are required for both torches and pickaxes, in addition to dozens of other vital crafts.
Materials Required to Make Sticks
To make sticks in Minecraft, you need wood logs, which come from trees. Each type of tree drops a corresponding kind of log, which you can turn into planks. Those planks then turn into sticks. It takes two planks to make four sticks.
How to Craft Sticks in Minecraft
Here’s how to make sticks in Minecraft:
Locate a tree.
Punch the tree.
To punch a tree in Minecraft:
- PC: Left click
- Xbox: Right trigger
- PlayStation: R2
- Nintendo: ZR
Pick up the blocks that fall to the ground.
Open your crafting menu.
Place any type of log in the crafting menu.
Remove the logs from your crafting interface, and place two planks oriented vertically, with one at the top and the other immediately below it.
Move sticks from the crafting results to your inventory.
What Can You Do With Sticks in Minecraft?
Sticks are one of the most critical crafting materials in Minecraft, as you use them for tons of different recipes. The first thing to think about is using some sticks to make tools, specifically an axe so that you can harvest more wood to make more sticks without the slow process of punching. It would help if you also kept a ready supply of them on hand to make torches, which are vital to surviving in Minecraft, both to light your way and to prevent hostile mobs like creepers from spawning in your house or base.
For example, here’s how to use sticks to make an axe in Minecraft:
Place four planks in your crafting interface to make a Crafting Table.
Place the Crafting Table on the ground.
Place two sticks and three planks in your crafting table interface.
Place the axe in your inventory, and use it to chop trees instead of punching with your fists.
You can then use sticks to make a pickaxe, mine for ore, make improved axes, pickaxes, and other tools, and continue progressing through the game.
Some things that require sticks:
- Tools: All tools, including axes, pickaxes, and shovels, require sticks and a second material, like wood planks or your choice of ore.
- Weapons: Weapons like swords and bows also use sticks as the basic building block.
- Fishing rod: They’re used to catch fish and are made of sticks.
- Torches: Torches, made from sticks and coal or charcoal, are the easiest way to light things up and night and underground.
- Ladders: Essential for mining and spelunking, ladders are made of sticks.
- Fences: Useful for protecting your base and keeping livestock secure, you make fences in Minecraft from sticks.
- Rails: Made from iron and sticks, you can use rails to get around faster.
- Signs: Make your mark on the world by planting a sign made from sticks and planks.
- Banners: If you want to decorate your shield with a banner, you need wool and sticks.