Whether you use single or dual SIMs on your Android phone, how can you make mobile internet and calls work at the same time?
If you use a single SIM, you can enable carrier-supported 4G VoLTE on your phone. If you use dual SIM with VoLTE enabled for both, you can access the internet and call using the same SIM. The secondary SIM can also be auto-switched to data when used for calling.
- Why does Internet get disconnected after receiving a call?
- How to use internet during call on Android?
- Why is VoLTE not showing in my mobile?
- How do you use mobile data while on a call on another SIM?
- Which carriers let you use internet while on a call with iPhone?
- My Android hotspot gets disconnected when a phone call comes in
Can You Talk On An iPhone And Use Hotspot At The Same Time?
How To Check Text Messages While Talking On The iPhone
Why does Internet get disconnected after receiving a call?
Here are some common reasons why the mobile internet gets disconnected after receiving a call:
1. VoLTE is turned off
If you use a 4G LTE network, it’s possible that VoLTE is turned off, which can cause the internet to get disconnected as the phone switches from 4G to 3G or 2G during a call.
2. Hardware restriction
Many phones have a sole radio interface pertaining to 4G. This can be used either for phone calls or using mobile data but not both at the same time.
Due to this hardware limit, the mobile internet gets blocked until the call ends, and resumes after it does.
3. Your carrier’s network is CDMA-based
If your carrier network is based on older CDMA (e.g. Verizon), voice and data connectivity are not simultaneously supported.
Verizon’s new LTE standard (VoLTE), on the other hand, does support calls and data at the same time.
4. Your APN configuration is incorrect
The bearer setting in the current APN (Access Point Name) configuration of your mobile data SIM may not be set to LTE by default. Your phone uses these APN settings connects to mobile data.
Depending on your setting, existing APN configuration may be only applicable when specific standards like LTE are being used.
How to use internet during call on Android?
Many users expect to be able to use the internet during calls on their Android devices. Here’s how you can enable this:
1. Enable VoLTE
If your Android device supports VoLTE, you need to enable it. This will ensure the mobile internet doesn’t turn off during calls,and you’ll also enjoy a clearer calling experience.
For this, you need to be in a location where 4G is available and your carrier also supports it.
Continue reading as to how to enable VoLTE in the section “How do I enable VoLTE on my Android”.
2. Set the bearer to LTE in your data SIM’s APN config
You need to set the Bearer to LTE in the APN settings of your data SIM to allow the use of mobile data when calling. Follow these steps on your Android device:
- Navigate to Settings > Network & Internet
- Go to Mobile Network > Access Point Names (for the SIM you use for data).
- Tap on “Internet” and scroll down to Bearer
- If Unspecified is selected, set the Bearer to LTE > Tap OK.
- Reboot your device.
3. Enable Wi-Fi calling
You can also use the internet while calling by enabling Wi-Fi Calling on your supported Android device.
This is particularly helpful if you are in a region where the carrier network’s signals are very weak or unreachable but a Wi-Fi connection is available.
To enable carrier-supported Wi-Fi calling on your phone:
- Open Settings > search for “Wi-Fi Calling”.
- Toggle the feature on
Note that WiFi calling needs to be supported on your phone and by your carrier.
- Does My Computer Have Bluetooth? How To Add it if it Doesn’t Have
- How do I know if my MacBook has Retina display?
- How do I connect my Blu-Ray player to my Samsung TV?
- Dell Monitor Stuck In Power Save Mode Fix
- TCL TV Black Screen: How to Fix in Seconds
Why can’t I use 4G Internet while I’m on a phone call?
There are a few reasons why you may not be able to use 4G internet when you are on a phone call:
- VoLTE is not enabled on your phone or supported by your carrier, which can result in your phone switching to 2G or 3G for mobile data during calls.
- On a phone with dual SIM, a different SIM is used for calls and for mobile data. This can hinder seamless 4G connectivity during calls.
- You may be in a location where carrier signal isn’t strong enough for 4G
- Your carrier-specific internet settings such as APN may be incorrect – check with your carrier
How do I turn on Internet while on a call on my Samsung?
You can turn on the setting to use mobile internet while on a call on your Samsung Galaxy phone as follows:
- Launch Settings > Connections > Mobile Networks.
- Enable “Use Mobile Data During Calls” or “All all SIMs to use data in calls”
- In addition, make sure “VoLTE Calls” is enabled in the same settings page.
Why is VoLTE not showing in my mobile?
Here are some possible reasons why VoLTE is not showing in your mobile:
1. SIM is not inserted properly and/or not default
It’s possible your SIM card is not inserted properly in the slot. If so, it may not function properly and result in the network not being detected. Try removing the SIM and inserting it again.
Also make sure the VoLTE SIM is set to default for internet connection in Settings.
2. Preferred network type is not set to 4G
The default network type for your data SIM may be set to 3G and not 4G.
Here’s how to fix it:
- Go to Settings > Network & Internet > Mobile Network.
- Set “Preferred Network Type” to LTE/4G
3. Your location, carrier, or phone model doesn’t support VoLTE
Your carrier or device may not support VoLTE, or it may not be available where you are. Contact your carrier and/or check your device specs.
Is 4G and VoLTE same?
4G is defined as the 4th generation of mobile communication technology, successor to 3G.
LTE (generally called 4G LTE) stands for Long Term Evolution and is a 4G wireless standard that aims to provide high-speed data for all 4G-supported devices.
VoLTE, on the other hand, stands for Voice over Long-Term Evolution; it’s also a wireless standard that falls under 4G. It allows for high-speed 4G internet connectivity but also lets you make phone calls over an LTE network with a quicker call setup time.
The following are some key differences between 4G LTE and VoLTE:
|Transmission||Carries data only||Carries both voice and data simultaneously|
|Quality of voice||Voice quality diminishes if data connection is on||Has superior voice quality even if data connection is enabled|
|Video calling capability||Usually requires the use of third-party apps like WhatsApp||Video calling available without third-party apps.|
How do I enable VoLTE on my Android?
Depending on your Android phone model, you can enable VoLTE on the device as follows:
- Go to Settings > Network & Internet > Mobile Network.
- Find your service provider settings area
- Toggle on “4G Calling”. The VoLTE setting may also be named “4G Calling” or something else like “HD Voice”.
How do you use mobile data while on a call on another SIM?
Some Android devices have a feature which allows you to use mobile data while on a call on another SIM.
In other words, when you are using mobile data in SIM1 and a call comes in on SIM2 (secondary SIM), the SIM2 mobile data will automatically turn on. This way you can have uninterrupted internet even when calling.
Since on most dual SIM phones, only one SIM can have a data connection, this feature allows the same SIM to be used for calling. This is by design to prevent interference and conflict between both SIMs.
Depending on your Android device, this feature can be enabled in the Connections or Network & Internet settings. Here’s how to enable this on a Samsung device:
- Navigate to Settings > Connections > Mobile Networks.
- Turn on “Allow All SIMs To Use Data In Calls”
What is “use mobile data during VoLTE calls on the secondary sim”?
The setting “use mobile data during VoLTE calls on the secondary sim” is specifically found on Dual SIM Xiaomi devices.
- [3 Tips] How to Find Loved Songs on Apple Music iPhone/iPad
- 3 ways to turn off the voice narration on your Roku device
- How to Scan from Canon Printer/Scanner to Mac
- 3 Free Ways to Delete Podcasts from iPod Nano/Shuffle/touch
- How to Disable Network Access to Windows Registry
This allows you to turn on data on the SIM card when a call comes in even if that SIM is not the primary one for mobile data. In other words, the secondary SIM auto-switches to mobile data.
This ensures a stable connection so you can use mobile internet along with calls.
Other smartphone brands like Realme have also implemented this feature with a similar setting.
How can I use Internet in both SIM?
It’s not possible to use mobile data on both SIMs at the same time on most Android phones. You can use both SIMs on your Dual SIM smartphone but connect only one SIM to mobile data at any given time.
The reason is that most devices have only one modem to send and receive data, making it possible for only one SIM to connect. For two SIMs to connect at the same time, two modems would be needed.
The ability to use 4G or VoLTE on both SIMs simultaneously exist in very few phones e.g. Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro.
Which carriers let you use internet while on a call with iPhone?
The three major carriers in the USA support VoLTE and hence allow you to use the Internet while on a call on your iPhone:
- T-Mobile (now merged with Sprint)
The four main networks in the UK also provide support for VoLTE on iPhones:
- Three (3)
In India, these carriers support VoLTE, letting you do calls and use the internet simultaneously on an iPhone (source: Apple):
- Reliance Jio
How can I use Internet while calling Airtel?
If you use an Airtel 4G SIM on your 4G/LTE supported smartphone, you can use the internet while calling by enabling VoLTE on your device. Airtel offers 4G VoLTE service for its customers.
Here’s how to enable it:
- Open Settings > navigate to “SIM Cards & Mobile Network”.
- Select Airtel > this opens the SIM Card Settings.
- Scroll down and switch on “Use VoLTE”.
- Go to Settings > Mobile Data > Mobile Data Options > Enable 4G.
- Enable “Voice & Data”.
Now, you should be able to use the Internet while calling on your smartphone with an Airtel SIM. If this doesn’t work, contact Airtel customer care to switch on VoLTE on your SIM.
My Android hotspot gets disconnected when a phone call comes in
When using your Android smartphone as a hotspot with other devices, the hotspot may disconnect automatically when you receive an incoming call. Here are some possible causes:
1. Your carrier doesn’t support VoLTE
Your carrier may only support 2G/3G instead of 4G VoLTE. 2G/3G networks don’t allow voice and data to be transmitted simultaneously.
2. Your Android phone only supports 2G/3G
You may be using an older Android phone which only supports 2G/3G.
3. Battery saving features are enabled
The battery or power-saving features such as “Mobile Hotspot Power Saving Mode” (in a Samsung device) may be enabled.
4. You have an old carrier plan
You may have an older plan or account with your carrier which doesn’t support handling calls and data at the same time.